As we all know, prevention is better than cure. Instead of trying to find cures or spending large sums of money on medical bills after diseases or injuries occur, it is much wiser and economically friendly to take care of yourself in everyday life.
Sports related injuries are becoming more and more common amongst youngsters as well as adults. Little as we know, there are simple ways to decrease the likelihood of encountering a sports injury.
Common causes of sports injuries
- The most common cause of sports injuries is the lack of warm-up, most people are not aware of the importance of warm-up and cool down before and after the sports activity
- With group sports, injuries usually occur due to the failure to wear sufficient protective gears
- Another common reason is the incorrect use of equipment, for example, weight training equipment
How to avoid sports injuries
- Always warm up and cool down. Warming up is one of the most sufficient ways to prevent sports injuries. It is vital because it prepares your muscles and joints for the coming up intensive movements. A proper warm up session should last at least 5-10 minutes, start slowly and gradually increase the pace. After the workout, make sure you spend 5-10 minutes to cool down as well to return your heart rate to normal
- Use protective gears when needed, and use the correct ones. Most group sports involve physical contact with other players, therefore, wearing protective gears such as helmets, gloves, knee pads and shin pads is particularly important
- Use the right equipment and technique. There are many forms of sports training involve equipment, using the wrong equipment can cause injuries. To reduce the risk of injuries, it is also essential to employ the right techniques during a sport or a training session. If necessary, learn the right techniques from an expert
- Remain hydrated. Hydration is important during all sorts of activities, especially during high physical intensity sports, or if you are exercising in heat or under the sun
It might be impossible to prevent injuries at all time because of the unpredictable nature of sports activities, it is possible to lower the risk of incurring an injury if all correct procedures and techniques are deployed.