It wouldn’t be Halloween without pumpkins, on the table or in your belly!
Here is a tasty and easy pumpkin scone recipe for you to try:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 60g butter, chilled, diced
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 40g cheddar cheese, grated (leave it out for a sweet option)
- Sour cream, chopped chives or spring onion, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C, 180°C fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar and nutmeg in a bowl, using your fingers to mix the diced butter into the dry mixture, rub until combined, do not over mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, pumpkin puree and grated cheese (if using), add the mixture to the flour mixture, gently combine using a wooden spoon until it’s just mixed.
- Place the mixture on a floured bench, spread to a thickness of 2cm. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the size and shape of scones you want, place them on the lined baking tray, brush each scone with extra buttermilk. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream and chives. Enjoy!